Frequently Asked Questions

Some of your questions about your union are answered below.

How do I know if I am an active member?

If you are an Active Member of Local 1994, your pay stub will contain the word dues in some variance. Only Active Members are eligible to participate on bargaining teams, the executive board, and any vote related to the Union. They are also eligible to receive supplemental benefits like those mentioned on the Membership Benefits section of this site.      

How can I become an active member of the Union?

By contacting your local union representative, shop steward or the membership services coordinator you can receive an application. Once the application is completed and returned to the union office you will receive a packet welcoming you into the union.

Where can I find my Union Contract?

You can view the contracts online by visiting our contracts page.

Who is my Shop Steward?

To find out who your Shop Steward, visit our Steward’s Directory.

What is the role of a Shop Steward?

  • Acting as a liaison between the membership and union leadership
  • Assisting the union leadership in identifying/resolving worksite problem
  • Serving on Collective Bargaining Advisory Committee to help identify bargaining proposals
  • Enforcing the contract at your worksite
  • Increasing active union membership at your worksite
  • Representing co-workers in disciplinary actions with their supervisors

Who do I contact regarding a Workers’ Compensation claim?

The Law Firm of Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman and Darby LLP handles workers compensation claims for employees covered under contracts bargained by UFCW Local 1994 MCGEO. For more information on Workers’ Compensation Claims read their welcome letter or visit their website.

What’s a grievance? How do I file?

A grievance is any complaint by the certified employee organization arising out of a violation or misinterpretation of any provision of the collective bargaining agreement including disputes arising over changes in existing work rules and working conditions. Oral warnings, written reprimands, reclassifications, and discipline of probationary employees are non-grievable. Grievances can not be filed against other bargaining unit members.

If you think that you have a grievable offense, you should contact your field representative who will determine whether or not a grievance can actually be filed.  Once it is determined that you have experienced a grievable offense, the appropriate union representative will complete the necessary paperwork and forward it to the appropriate department official. The union representative will also advise you, at the time, of the ensuing process and the expectations of the employee from that point forward.

What Are My Weingarten Rights?

If any discussion with a supervisor could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, officer, or Steward be present at this meeting. Without representation present, I choose not to participate in this discussion.


Si cualquier discusión con un supervisor podría de cualquier manera conducir a mí disciplinado o terminado, o afecte mis condiciones de trabajo personales, solicito respetuosamente que mi representante de unión, oficial, o administrador estén presentes en esta reunión. Sin el representación presente, elijo no participar en esta discusión.

What Is FMLA?

For information on the Family and Medical Leave Act and your rights consult your union contract.  You can view the contracts online by visiting our contracts page.

Or call us: 

(301) 977-2447

600 S Frederick Avenue Suite 200 Gaithersburg, MD 20877